With it being Valentine’s Day today, there’s lots of love talk floating around – from online shopping sites, to window displays, to restaurants, to social media. It’s everywhere, and it’s hard to escape from unless you shut yourself in and switch off all your tech (which I’m not advising)! My point here is, that it can be really difficult when you’re feeling alone and there’s all of this talk surrounding you. I wanted to step away from beauty and lifestyle today and talk about something more personal – and as cheesy as it may sound, it’s about loving (and making time for) yourself.
It can be so easy to get so caught up with helping everybody else around you that you forget to make time for you. Work, friends, family and other essential commitments get in the way – and by the end of it all, you’re drained. This got me thinking, what better time to practice some self love than Valentine’s Day? In today’s post, I’m sharing some of my favourite ways to do this:
1. Make a list. I find that organizing my thoughts into a list, whether it’s tangible tasks to do, pretty things I want to buy or just positive thoughts that cross my mind – I write the, down in my book of lists. There’s something so satisfying about seeing a list on paper!
2. Buy yourself some fresh flowers. My favourites are peonies (I know it’s cliche but they’re just so pretty) and gerberas.
3. Do something you’re good at. Anything you enjoy doing and that you know you do well. Having that sense of satisfaction of completing a task is a really great way to build positive energy.
4. Wear your favourite lipstick…just because. Don’t wait for a special occasion. You love it, so wear it (and own it). Right now, I’m loving Charlotte Tilbury’s Pillow Talk – who isn’t?!
5. Bake something. If you don’t like baking, cook your favourite meal. Just spend some time making food that you love and enjoy – and then take the time to savour it afterwards!
6. Get some exercise. It takes a lot of effort to get myself up and running but when the workout is over, nothing can replace that burst of energy and positivity. I’m really going to try and increase this for myself this month.
8. Step away from social media. Switch off and take some time out, maybe read or go for a walk. Anything that doesn’t involve staring at a screen. I wrote a post on how to reduce screen time which has some of my top tips on how to make this easier and I’ll link that here.
9. Start a gratitude journal. If anything, it’s an excuse to buy a pretty notebook and write fill it up with positive thoughts.
10. Make sleep a priority. Even if it means going to bed later, getting eight hours of solid sleep makes all the difference. I know how much it has changed my routine since I started doing this in January!
11. Give yourself a compliment. It sounds crazy I know, but it feels so good to hand them out, and also to receive them. So give yourself one.
12. Self affirmations are the way forward. This one draws on from my last point. Realizing your own worth is something that can be difficult to do, I know I’ve struggled and I still do. But it’s definitely something worth working on.
13. Meditate. This has become more and more popular over the years but meditation isn’t just sitting on the floor with your legs crossed and eyes shut. Although that’s certainly one way to do it, meditation is different for everyone. I just like taking some time to think whilst doing mediocre tasks and that works well for me. Just clear your head space… it works a treat.
14. Stop comparing. I’m guilty of this one, especially when it comes to blogging. I’m making an active effort to stop because it’s a downward spiral of negativity, so the best way forward is to get rid of the urge to compare.
15. Treat Yo Self. I compiled a whole Valentine’s Wishlist of the things that I’ve been eyeing up this month… and I fully intend to treat myself to a couple (if not more) of those things!
How do you like to practice self love?